Eco-Friendly, Energy-Efficient Homes Attract Buyers
Are you contemplating selling your home? If so, you might be shocked to learn how highly consumers now value eco-friendly and energy-efficient features. This is particularly true now that summer has officially begun.
In fact, according to the National Association of Realtors' (NAR) 2023 Realtors and Sustainability Report, 48% of agents or brokers have seen that customers are interested in sustainability.
So, why does this matter to you if you're thinking about selling your home? Knowing what you can do to improve your home's appeal to modern buyers is helpful. According to Jessica Lautz, vice president of research at NAR and deputy chief economist:
"Buyers often seek homes that either lessen their environmental footprint or reduce their monthly energy costs. There is value in promoting green features and energy information to future home buyers."
Upgrade Your House To Make It More Attractive
You must collaborate with a local realtor to comprehend what prospective purchasers in your neighborhood are looking for if you want to make improvements to your home that will increase its green appeal. According to the same NAR research, the following green home features are the most crucial to purchasers nationwide:
- Windows, doors, and siding
- Proximity to frequently visited places
- A comfortable living space
- A home’s utility bills and operating costs
Even while you can't change where your home is, you may take steps to make it as cozy as possible and minimize operating costs for the next owners. The following improvements are listed by ENERGY STAR as ones that might be worth thinking about:
- Heating and cooling: Ensure your HVAC system is properly maintained and regularly serviced to maximize its efficiency. Consider upgrading to a high-efficiency model, if needed.
- Water heater: Your water heater uses a lot of energy. Upgrading to a heat pump water heater can significantly reduce energy consumption and appeal to environmentally conscious buyers.
- Smart thermostat: A big part of your energy bill goes to heating and cooling. Install a programmable thermostat to better regulate temperature settings. This not only enhances comfort but can also lower energy usage.
- Attic insulation: Proper sealing and insulation in your attic help prevent air leaks and maintain a comfortable temperature, reducing the strain on heating and cooling systems.
- Energy-efficient windows: Replacing old, drafty windows with energy-efficient ones can minimize heat transfer and lower your energy bills.
It's important to remember that you might be eligible for tax credits and rebates for energy-efficient home installs and improvements. The financial burden of making eco-friendly house renovations may be somewhat alleviated by these advantages.
Real estate agents are vital resources to be aware of as you get ready to sell your home. They may advise you on which improvements would appeal to local buyers the most and help you decide which eco-friendly elements to emphasize in your listing. Inform your realtor if you've recently made these changes so they can highlight them in your listing.
To sum up
You can attract more buyers by emphasizing eco-friendly and energy-efficient elements in your home. Let's talk to make sure you're picking the appropriate upgrades for our neighborhood.